Monday, March 8, 2010
1. Put the logo in my post or within my blog.
2. Pass the award onto 12 fellow bloggers.
3. Link the nominees within my post.
4. Let the nominees know they have received this award by leaving a comment on their blogs.
5. Share the love and link to the person who gave you the award!Now, to pass this award on to 12 bloggers who bring a little sunshine to my day!
Well, I'm adding my own rule, just for fun...
Its the sunshine award, so here are 12 random facts about the sun because I know that's exactly what you wanted!
1. The sun contains 99.85% of the mass in the solar system.
2. Based on the average life of a G2 star, the present age of the sun is estimated to be 4.6 billion years, halfway through its lifetime.
3. Approximately 109 planet Earths would fit on the surface of the sun and more than one million planet Earths would fit inside of the sun.
4. The sun is the closest star to Earth and is 149.60 million kilometers (92.96 million miles) away.
5. At its core, the sun’s temperature is about 15 million degrees Celsius (about 27 million degrees Fahrenheit).
6. 100,000,000,000 tons of dynamite would have to be detonated every second to match the energy produced by the sun.
7. A person weighing 150 pounds on Earth would weigh 4,200 pounds on the sun because the sun’s gravity is 28 times that of Earth.
8. In the Aztec religion, extensive human sacrifice was demanded by the sun gods Huitzilopochtli and Tezcatlipoca.
9. The Greek philosopher Aristarchus is credited as being the first person to claim that the Earth orbited the sun
10. It takes the suns rays 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the earth, traveling at a rate of 186,282 miles per second
11. The Sun revolves around our galaxy (the Milky Way) every 225 – 250 million years ( a galactic year).
12. Over the next few billion years, the Sun will heat up so much that all the heat will burn away life on Earth.
Posted by Christy at 12:54 PM